Annually, the Philharmonic plays a couple of “pops-like” concerts prior to hitting the parks circuit in the month of July. For quite some time, the Summertime Classics have been directed by British conductor Bramwell Tovey, complete with spirited commentary.
This evening’s concert focused on Russian classics:
- Shostakovich – Festive Overture
- Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto No. 1 with soloist, Joyce Yang
- Musorgsky – Night on Bald Mountain
- Rachmaninoff – Vocalise
- Tchaikovsky – Waltz of the Flowers from The Nutcracker
- Tchaikovsky – March Slave