The second concert in the pre-season series provided a complete screening of the film 2001: A Space Odyssey with live performances of the music from the sound track. The sound track of the film comprises selections from the following:
- Ligeti: Atmospheres for Large Orchestra (1961)
- R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra for Large Orchestra, Op. 30
- J. Strauss II: On the Beautiful Blue Danube, Op. 314
- Ligeti: Kyrie, from Requiem (1964)
- Ligeti: Lux aeterna
- Khachaturian: Adagio from Gayane (1942)
- Ligeti: Aventures (1966)
While the film is kinda slow in places, it was thrilling to hear the above scores played live by the Philharmonic and accompanied by the chorus, Musica Sacra.
Earlier in the afternoon I attended the lecture hosted by Alec Baldwin at the World Science festival, The Art of the Score: The Mind, Music and Moving Image.